THE ROLE OF THE ARTIST QUESTIONAIRE
Copyright c 1975 Volunteers in Asia
1. Who are the artists and musicians? Are they professionals? What is their social status? Is it more likely for one of the sexes or a particular social or economic class to become an artist or musician? What are the important positions, the leadership roles? What is the relation of the artist or musician to others? How is the artist or musician trained? Are art and music taught in the public schools? Do parents instruct their children? What are some of the attitudes of the artist or musician towards his or her work?
2. How do the artist and the musician create? What kind of planning goes into the work? Are models (the work of accepted masters) followed, or does the artist/musician strive for originality? Relate this to art and the society as a whole.
3. What are the basic purposes of art and music in this culture?
4. Who is the art and music intended for (e.g. the artists themselves, the general public, an intellectual or artistic elite)? Who appreciates the art and music? What are the reactions inspired or provoked?
5. Who judges what is good and what criteria are used? Are art and music relative only to personal taste? Are they relative to cultural tastes, that is, does the quality of the work depend on the way it interprets the aims and needs of the specific culture? Are they relative to "eternal laws" and if so, who has established these "laws"? Are they judged by their functionality, their human usefulness? Are they judged by their concern with basic human problems and needs? Must they be profound to be "good"? Are they judged by how well they communicate their messages?
6. What has been the history or development of art and music in this culture? Consider a particular medium or school of art or music. Consider art and music as a whole and the influences of the various media and schools on each other.
7. What have been and continue to be the external influences on art and music?
ALAMUT.COM is artist owned and operated.